Thursday, September 4, 2008

August 31, 2008

I had originally written a “Back Of The Bulletin” discussing the work of the United Methodist Church in relation to unfair labor practices and living conditions. Although that is an important topic, I cannot ignore the fact that our small community is in mourning.

As many of us gathered at BEHS to cheer our Eagles in their opening game, out on Floyd Rd., a young life ended. At about 7:15 pm, Reyna Mendez's son was fatally struck by a car. We began to get sketchy reports of the event near the end of the game and I to this time do not have all the facts. What I do know is that the Mendez family is mourning the loss of their young son and the whole of our community is mourning with that family.

Any unexpected loss of life is difficult. The death of one so young and with so much potential is even more so. We question how could such a horrible thing could happen. We even ask how could God allow such a horrible thing to happen. Nowhere in the deepest part of our being could something like this ever make sense. So we sit in shocked bewilderment and cry out, “Why?”

This is one of those times when I do not have an answer that I can just casually explain and everyone will say, “Oh. Now I understand.” I cannot offer an answer because I do not have one. I sit with you and cry out, “Why?” And in my puzzlement, I realize that we may never fully understand this event. I am convinced that whenever one of his children suffers, God's suffers even more so right along with him or her. Although I believe this young child to now be in the presence of God Almighty, I cannot say that God took him from his family. Rather God welcomed this young one into God's own presence at the end of his earthly life.

Throughout history smarter persons than me have asked, “Where is God in a time like this?” Among them are Job, Elijah, David, ... We don't doubt God's love, but we don't always see Him. So now we remain in our grief with this young family. This is the time we are called to be the hands and feet of God. To mirror His love when we don't understand. To meet the needs of the hurting and to always know God is there even when I don't see Him.


God bless,

Pastor Brad

No comments: