Seminary classes finally started on Tuesday of this week. At my secular job we used the expression, “drinking from the fire hose.” Somehow that seems appropriate for my journey back into the area of higher education. Many of you have expressed an interest in what my course load looks like and what I will be studying this semester. I am taking the standard 4 courses recommended to all Junior Seminarians (Cool term, eh? Persons in their first year of seminary are called juniors rather than freshmen). I am taking Introduction to Old Testament, Systematic Theology I, Church History I and The Church as a Worshiping Community (in other words, Old Testament, Church History, Theology and Worship).
From time to time I will bring some of what I have learned home to our church. None of this is new, but like a pre-owned vehicle, it's new to me. One such item of interest from my first week of study is something that I must remember along with all the other students as we complete our homework. Matthew 22:37 “He said to him, 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.'”
It appears that some teachers read unbelievably fast and assume that everyone has this same ability. Having been a student of computer science for 20+ years, I grew accustomed to reading technical manuals. Of all the things that the Bible is (poetry, history, drama, prophecy), I have never heard it referred to as a technical manual. Therefore, I am re-learning how to read. At times when I become frustrated with my reading speed that convinces me that I am truly NOT smarter than a 5th grader, the words of Jesus come back to me.
Heart and soul is where I have focused most. But to love the Lord God with all my mind? This is an area of growth for me. To truly allow God to dwell in my homework as I am memorizing dates or reading material that I barely understand is not what I think of first when I hear, “Love the Lord your God.” However, along with heart and soul, we must truly love God with our intellect in order to fully surrender all of who we are, to all of who He is.
God bless,
Pastor Brad

No comments:
Post a Comment