You are probably aware that Amanda, the offspring and I spent the week at Disney World. I have this habit of talking with just about everyone that I encounter (e.g. wait staff, custodians, ticket takers, photographers, etc.). I hear a lot of stories from some fascinating people. While waiting in line at Disney World (I know you are all surprised that we actually had to wait in line occasionally ☺), I struck up a conversation with a photographer.
A little bit of this and a little bit of that later, we hit upon the fact that being a Disney photographer was not his first job after retiring. His first job was as a cameraman for a local TV station. His assessment of that station was that only bad news was newsworthy. He felt that he spent his entire day looking for and recording the bad things in our world for a film at 11:00.
He decided a change was in order and took the photographer position at Disney taking pictures of mainly children and Disney characters. He shared with me that there is a special place in his heart for all the “Make A Wish” children that he sees with terminal illnesses. He recalled one special little girl. He said that he took over 60 pictures of her, mainly with Ariel the Little Mermaid. He said that normally, photographers only take about 6 pictures of any given child. So he expected a reprimand from his manager—it never came. Two weeks later the little girl died. Those pictures that he took were the last taken of her.
If you are curious about what I mean by an “extra crispy life” in today's message, this retired photographer at Disney World who wanted more out of life than just looking for bad things summed it up much better than I ever could. .
God bless,
Pastor Brad

No comments:
Post a Comment